Hexen II is the sequel to Hexen developed by Raven Software using the Quake engine in 1997.
The Enemy is Eidolon and his four generals who each rule in a different part of the world of Thyrion:
- Famine, in the Medieval European themed land of Blackmarsh;
- Death, in the Mezo-American themed land of Mazaera;
- Pestilence, in the Ancient Egyptian themed land of Thysis;
- War, in the Greco-Roman themed land of Septimus.
Each of the generals are guarded in their lands by countless minions.
Hexen II is similar in concept to its predessesor:
- There are four characters to choose from: an Assassin, a Crusader, a Necromancer and a Paladin each with different attributes and experiences, skill sets, advantages and disadvantages and of course unique weapons.
- The game has a hub based design with your character having to return to a central hub after completing tasks and gathering items in the surrounding levels.
- However unlike Hexen the characters in the game gain experience which enhances their skills and gives them special abilities.
- The game introduced rather more complex puzzles than previously.
- There are numerous items and artefacts to store in a characters inventory for later use.
- There are monsters and enemies that are appropriate to the style of the Hub.
The game consists of three opening levels and five hubs:
- Blackmarsh with three levels: Blackmarsh, The Mill and the Barbican.
- The King's Court Hub with four levels: King's Court, Palace Entrance, Innner Courtyayd and Stables.
- The Plaza of the Sun Hub with six levels: Plaza of the Sun, Square of the Steream,Court of 1000 Warriors, Palace of Columns, Bridge of Stars and Obelisk of the Moon.
- The Temple of Horus Hub with five levels: Temple of Horus, Palace of the Pharoah, Temple of Nefertum, Temple of Light and Pyramid of Qnubis.
- The Hall of Heroes Hub with six levels: Hall of Heroes, Forum of Zeus, Gardens of Athena, Reflecting Pool,Baths of Demetrious and Temple of Mars.
- The Cathedral Hub with four levels: Catherdral, Tower of the Dark Mage, The Underhalls, Eidolins Ordeal.
The Portal of Praevus was an expansion pack that added 2 more Hubs with 30 new levels, two new monsters and a new character, the Demoness .
- Loric's Bones Puzzle
- Sand, Glass and Grindstone Puzzle
- Tests of the Elements
- Canopic Jars Puzzle
- Wheel of Ages Puzzle
- Charity Puzzle
- Desecrated Altar Puzzle
Screenshots from the gorgeous JSHexen II Port